jump to navigation

Low Ki April 18, 2010

Posted by Roo Stercogburn in Uncategorized.
trackback

This time out, a near-psychadelic semi-ethnic piece of music. It started out as a straight-forward piano-piece with some very fluid piano work.

And then I really got into it…

It was crucial that the piano was mixed very carefully with the pads so that when the chorus & break occur they are so similar in volume that I could get the almost subliminal effect I wanted with the repeating piano note. I had a hellish time when mixing down because the piano would come out too loud on different systems or not loud enough. It might still not be quite where I want it when I play it some more. Oh well ๐Ÿ™‚

Very late in the creation of this I added the vocals. Yes, its me singing. Then the structure of the song got altered slightly. The addition of these took it to a whole new level of ‘tripiness’. I’ve used some pitch shifting so I can make me sound like my own choir, but no auto-tuning.

Let me know if I’ve mistakenly thought I was in tune please ๐Ÿ˜€

The drums were a particular challenge in this piece. I wanted ethnic drums and didn’t want to loop. All the drums were writen in piano roll and there was no drum looping or repeating of bars. The first iteration I realised I’d made the drumming too random. My first thought was to use the piano for the stabilising rhythmn and turn it around so the drums were all over the place but when I listened to it after creating the first attempt at the drumming I realised I’d gone too far. As it turned out, this was easily fixed. In different verses I took a part of one of the drum patterns from the piano roll (not an entire bar) and merged it with existing bars. This took care of the problem and I now had a more solid backing.

As is often the case, 90% of the song took around half the time, the last 10% to get it completed took just asย long. I’m still not entirely happy with elements of the mix or sound, however its ready for feedback.

I had some hard decisions to make during this one. When I came up with the pad/arpeggio-based chorus, I wasn’t sure if it was too much of a contrast with the basic piano-focused verse. After some thought and some very careful tweaking I decided the contrast worked and set about integrating them properly. Maybe you’ll think differently ๐Ÿ™‚

Advertisements

Comments»

No comments yet — be the first.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: